During the period, May 15-22 2018, the 16 participating schools, selected from Jamaica’s 6 resort areas, contended to gain a spot in the quarter final round of the competition.
Created to improve the tourism knowledge and awareness of Primary level students, the quiz was developed by the Community Awareness Department of TPDCo. The competition started on May 15th and concluded on June 2nd with the finals and awards ceremony at the TVJ studios in Kingston.
The TPDCo Tourism Quiz comprises three sections and teams compete in all sections for the quiz to be complete. The team with the highest point total at the end of the third and final section is declared the winner.
- Tourism Teasers: Teams are asked alternating questions for a total of 5 minutes
- Tourism in 90 seconds: Each team is given a period of 90 seconds to answer as many questions as possible from any of the subject areas or resources for the quiz.
- Tourism Challenge: Teams are alternately asked questions from four subject areas: Team Jamaica, Social Studies, Mathematics and Discover Jamaica. Each team is given a choice to answer a question based on its weighting, i.e. 2, 4, 6 points and will be awarded the point if answered correctly. However, teams will lose half the weighting if the answer is incorrect.
The teams were quizzed on their knowledge of Jamaica and Current Affairs, had their problem solving skills tested in Mathematics, unlocked their science knowledge and spewed out facts about tourism from Team Jamaica, TPDCo’s flagship training programme as well as TPDCo’s Sprucey and Limey comic and other industry publications.
From the Western region, which comprised schools in Montego Bay, Negril and Mandeville, Mount Alvernia emerged as winners over Esher Primary. Broughton Primary with their quick and ready team triumphed over Mandeville Primary and Junior High, Mount St. Joseph Prep battled and won over John Rollins Success Primary while Corinaldi Avenue Primary in a close and tense match claimed victory over St. James Prep.
The Eastern matches, which were hosted in Ocho Rios included schools from Kingston, Ocho Rios, Portland and Trelawny, proved even more exhilarating. Ardenne Prep lead all the way over Ocho Rios Primary, St. Richard’s Primary maintained a staggering lead over Port Antonio Primary, while Naggo Head Primary, in a toe to toe match were winners over St. Ann’s Bay Primary, with only a point to spare. The final team to claim a coveted spot in the quarter finals, Spring Garden Primary out of Trelawny, tackled with Immanuel Success Preparatory, also from Trelawny.
The winning teams made their way to the TVJ studios on Saturday May 26, 2018 where they competed for a spot in the semi-finals. All teams had their eyes on the enviable prizes, and the opportunity to be named the 2018 TPDCo Tourism Quiz champion. These brilliant young minds did not hold back!
Stay tuned for updates on our quarter final matches, semi-finals and final match to see who were the winners and eventual champs. The matches will officially air on Television Jamaica (TVJ) on the following dates:
- June 18 6pm and then rebroadcast June 19 4:30 pm
- June 21 6:30pm and then rebroadcast June 22 at 4:30 pm
- June 25 6pm and then rebroadcast June 26 at 4:30 pm
- June 28 6:30pm and then rebroadcast June 29 at 4:30 pm
- July 2 6pm and then rebroadcast July 3 at 4:30 pm
- July 5 6:30pm and the rebroadcast July 6 at 4:30 pm
- July 9 6pm and then rebroadcast on July 10 at 4:30 pm